Friday 11 July 2014

Invisible ... just invisible

I can't believe I'm telling you this.  I think I am invisible.  No, really.  Invisible.  And silent/stealth too.

Have any of you ever felt like this?  I wonder if I am the only one.  The symptoms are pretty standard I would think.  If they happen once or twice it just might be a coincidence, but if consistent you might just be invisible too.

  • In a room full of people in a conversation you speak three words only to be interrupted by another, louder person who didn't even know you spoke.  This can happen with friends, family or just random strangers.
  • Someone cuts in front of you in a line up and didn't even notice you were there.
  • Walking down the street...you are always the person who moves out of the way to avoid getting hit or knocked over.
  • In the gym people set up their benches within arm's reach of your "in progress" workout and don't even notice you are there.
I had a conversation about this actual syndrome with someone just a few nights ago. We were walking down the street and a fully grown man was standing and looking around as we were strolling by.  He took a few steps and would have walked right into me while staring right through me if I hadn't taken evasive steps.  He was completely oblivious to my presence in his "now" personal space.  

The conversation went something like this:
Look out (as husband pulls me to the side)
Holy shit he didn't even see me there...how can that be?  I'm not exactly tiny, I'm 5foot 8 for crying out loud!
The man walks away totally oblivious...  AND SCENE.

That moment along with a few others in recent times have led me to the invisible diagnosis.  I suppose it could come in handy.  I could be a fly on the wall during a party where everyone is having fun and letting loose.  As an introvert (no, really) this can be awesome when feeling socially awkward.  If only there was a cloak or a switch I knew how to operate to turn the invisibility on and off.  

I must work on this...

Till next time,

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment